2018: Sicily Discovery (6340)
10 days from Rome to Rome
Mountains and hills over the sea, archaeological sites, an active volcano, UNESCO World Heritage Sites, blue skies, and breathtaking views?this is Sicily. Starting from Rome, you will travel through the south of Italy to reach Villa San Giovanni where you will cross the sapphire-blue waters by ferry to reach Messina.On this affordable Sicily tour, visit some fantastic historic sights. At Casale, visit the Roman Villa - a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Originally an extravagant residence of a powerful Roman family in the 4th century AD, its mosaics on the floors and walls are well-preserved today. Agrigento, founded as a Greek colony in the 6th century BC, is a treasure trove of fascinating ruins. Visit its Valley of the Temples, another UNESCO World Heritage Site, to see vestiges from the classical Greek period. Visit the Doric Temple of Concord, one of the finest examples of Greek civilization - and the Temple of Juno Lacinia, which was severely damaged by fire near the end of the 5th century BC. Also visit Selinunte, an ancient Greek city on the southwestern coast of Sicily that was at the apex of its power before 409 BC. Here, see the remains of the Acropolis, with its temples and fortifications. Visit the heights of Mount Etna - Europe's largest active volcano. Enjoy a guided tour in Trapani, set on a harbor that was once a powerful trading network; explore Erice, a medieval hilltop town with cobbled streets, fortifications, and ancient churches; and visit Marsala, known throughout the world for its wine. In Palermo, your sightseeing tour includes Cappella Palatina (Palatine Chapel), built in the 1100s, with byzantine mosaics depicting famous scenes from The Bible. This tour through Sicily is designed for the value-minded traveler as the best way to explore the beautiful features of this magnificent, yet charming island!
Call (800) 468-2359 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13731014
- Tour Operator
- Offer valid through 3/31/2018
- 10 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Rome||Check into your hotel. The rest of the day is free to explore Italy's ancient capital. Tonight, meet your local host/Tour Director and fellow travelers.|
|Day 2||Neapolitan Riviera||Travel south along the Highway of the Sun to spend the afternoon at leisure to enjoy the charming bayside resort of Sorrento with its cafes, shops, beaches, and colorful alleys. (B,D)|
|Day 3||Taormina||Today, travel through the rustic mountainous scenery of Italy's southernmost region, Calabria, before boarding the FERRY for a 45-minute crossing to Sicily. Continue to the Taormina area. (B,D)|
|Day 4||Taormina||Magnificently situated on a 700-foot plateau overlooking the Ionian Sea, the heart of Taormina is Piazza Nove Aprile, a paved square with unrivaled views of the sea and Mount Etna. Take a stroll along the Corso Umberto, and maybe taste a refreshing granita or a sumptuous cannolo? Later, enjoy a visit to the heights of MOUNT ETNA with the option of a jeep or cable-car ride for a better view of Europe's largest active volcano (subject to weather conditions). (B)|
|Day 5||Agrigento||Drive to Piazza Armerina, a maze of steep streets positively overflowing with the colorful atmosphere of Sicilian life. At nearby Casale, visit the ROMAN VILLA, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and famous for its mosaics, including the whimsical 'Bikini Girls.' On to Agrigento's Valley of the Temples, one of Italy's archaeological jewels. Visit the DORIC TEMPLE OF CONCORD, one of the finest examples of Greek civilization existing today, and the hilltop TEMPLE OF JUNO LACINIA. (B,D)|
|Day 6||Palermo||Leave for Selinunte, one of the most striking and interesting sites in Sicily. At the apex of its power before 409 BC, the city exceeded 30,000 people, excluding slaves. Here, you will see the remains of the ACROPOLIS with its temples and fortifications. On the western coast of Sicily, stop in Marsala, known for its celebrated Marsala wine. Here, you will visit a local SALT MILL and learn how this local product is extracted and refined. Then, head to Palermo, capital of Sicily. (B)|
|Day 7||Palermo||Two Sicilian treats are on the agenda today. First, visit enchanting Trapani with a Local Guide, set on a harbor that was once at the heart of a powerful trading network stretching from Carthage to Venice. The city center stretches along the port and was built in primarily baroque style. Next is the medieval hilltop town of Erice, reached by cable car. Situated about 2,500 feet above sea level, it immediately impresses with its defensive walls and castle, affording breathtaking views over the Trapani Gulf and Egadi Island and on clear days, all the way to the African coast. Return to Palermo. (B)|
|Day 8||Overnight Ferry Crossing to Naples||A full day to enjoy this busy and colorful city full of interesting squares and marketplaces, churches, and palazzos in every style-from Moorish to baroque. Join the included sightseeing tour to learn more, and visit the magnificent CAPPELLA PALATINA. This evening, embark for an overnight FERRY crossing from Palermo to Naples. (B)|
|Day 9||Rome||Get to know Naples with a Local Guide. You'll discover a multifaced city, elegant and decadent at the same time, lively, fascinating, and colorful. Later, return to Rome, the 'Eternal City.'|
|Day 10||Rome||Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. (B)|
- US$ Price Details
Prices are per person based on double room occupancy.Single room supplement: $580No triple room reduction.Extra nights per person in Rome:in single room $124-$144; in twin / in triple $76-$922019 departures are subject to itinerary and price modification. Details will be available in September 2018.
Travel Terms & Conditions
The purchase of any travel services offered by Globus, constitutes a contractual arrangement between you (the Traveler) and Globus, and represents your acceptance of the Terms & Conditions. Please ensure that you read carefully and understand the Terms & Conditions prior to booking. These Terms & Conditions cover Deposit & Final Payment information, Air-Inclusive Deposits & Final Payment, Revisions & Revision Fees, Air Arrangements, Participation, Travelers Who Need Special Assistance, Young Travelers, Smoking, Price Policy, Visas and Passports, Hotels & Accommodations, Baggage Allowance, Travel Documents, Not Included in the Land Price, Refunds, Service Inquires After the Vacation, Holidays, Safety, Photos & Pictures, Optional Excursions, and Responsibility.
- Vacation departures, itineraries and prices are subject to change.
- A non-refundable, non-transferable deposit is required for Globus to reserve space for you. View Terms & Conditions for limited exceptions.
- The following charges are not included in the land vacation price unless otherwise noted: airfare to and from the start of your vacation; Intra-vacation air unless specified in the itinerary; airline baggage fees including checked and/or excess baggage fees; Federal inspection fees for the Federal U.S. Customs and Immigrations; International Air Transportation tax; agricultural tax; other per person taxes imposed by government entities; airport taxes and fees including the September 11th Security fee up to $11.20 per person, passenger facility charges up to $18 per person, Federal domestic flight segment fees up to $4.00 per segment, and U.S. and International arrival and departure and other government-imposed added by the airline and applicable at time of booking; port taxes; passports; visas (except on Cuba programs) and vaccinations; tips to your Tour or Cruise Director, Globus Group Leader in Cuba, Local Host, driver, Local Guides, and/or ship's crew; gratuities on ferries, trains, and cruise ships; laundry; telephone; minibar; alcohol, beverages, and food outside of the contracted Globus menu as presented at a hotel or restaurant or onboard your vessel (these extra items will be billed to you before leaving the hotel, ship, or restaurant); airport transfers on non-qualifying flights; optional excursions; additional activities and excursions purchased online; porterage at airports and train stations; Travel Protection; and all other items of a personal nature.
Booking your Vacation with Air
For air departure dates within 331 days, you'll be offered a choice of carriers and flight schedules as well as price points to choose from when selecting your flights. Your schedule will be provided to you at the time of booking (schedules are subject to change by carriers). Globus offers 2 air options: Flex Air and Instant Purchase Air. Flex Air allows flexibility if you want to make changes to your vacation schedule. Instant Purchase Air may offer additional airline options but has more restrictions. Some vacations may only offer one Air type option. Guaranteed air-inclusive prices: air is only available to passengers traveling from the United States and only available when booked in conjunction with a land vacation. An additional $300 per person non-refundable air deposit is required for Flex Air booked in conjunction with any land vacation (i.e. air-inclusive vacation). Air can only be booked by Globus in conjunction with a vacation package. Instant Purchase Air requires air payment in full at time of booking (i.e. air-inclusive vacation) plus non-refundable per person service fee ($30 for North/Central America, $50 for Europe/Middle East and $80 for all other destinations. Once booked, Instant Purchase Air is non-refundable, and non-changeable. Some vacations may only offer one Air type option. However, once your airfare is confirmed and Globus has received your full air and land deposit, your air-inclusive vacation price is guaranteed.
Air-Inclusive Vacations - Applicable Taxes & Fees
Air-inclusive vacations include government-imposed taxes and fees applicable at the time of booking and will be shown as a Total Amount. Additional airline fees for baggage may apply. At the time of booking your air-inclusive vacation online, carrier Websites will be provided to check baggage fees, or you can visit www.iflybags.com for up-to-date baggage pricing/restrictions. For return travel from some countries, international travelers are required to pay entry and/or exit fees at the airport. These fees will be collected by the local government and are payable by the traveler at time of travel. Your confirmation booking information will contain information about these fees.
* The "Starting at" or listed price is based on the lowest price available to book. Price is per passenger based on double occupancy and does not include airfare; additional fees/charges are not included. If a price is crossed out, the new price shown includes a limited time promotional offer(s) - please review current promotions or deals for additional information. Some tours require intra-vacation flights (and in some cases intra-vacation segments must be purchased from Globus).